Tuesday 14 August 2007

New Video Camera - James

The day after i had my University Graduation film screening at the National Film Theatre in London, my Uncle Howard died of cancer. I was obviously very upset, emotional... confused... and somehow that afternoon i though it would be a good idea to walk into a bank and borrow £6800, to pay back over 5 years, with a stupid ammount of interest. I think when somebody close to you dies, you start looking at your own life very closely, and i took a good hard look at myself. I was just out of full time education for the first time in my life, but also just out of a 6 year relationship in which i was very restricted to what i was 'allowed' to do. Borrowing more money than i had ever known before and buying the video camera i had always dreamed of was the only thing i wanted to do with my life at that moment.

Over the next 2 or 3 months i spent all of that money on everything i thought would be nice to have in my kit bag. I dont regret doing it in the slighetst, as that camera kit has taken me to some pretty rad places over the last 2 years, given me some memories for life, and a strong foundation into what i wanted to do and who i wanted to be.

These are a couple of the earlier videos that were made with that camera:

Learning to Skate Again


Here you can see Bob and myself trying desperately to cling on to whatever was left of the skateboarding skills we had once perfected through so many dedicated hours. We were both guilty of not skating as much as we should have been in our old age, so in this video we just tried to keep things simple, knock out some old tricks, on a new camera with a new fish eye.


Zebrahead - Hello Tomorrow Live


This is a band called Zebrahead playing live. I was lucky enough to go on tour with them for a few days filming this. Of all the things i got to film on my new camera, i'd say the lyrics to this song are most fitting to what i was going through at the time... i guess.

No comments: